Sunday, January 23, 2005

Sneak a Peek


knitdetail
Originally uploaded by makeandboo.

I'm knitting a sweater at the moment - or maybe it's a cardi, I haven't decided and won't need to until I've finished the back... Anyway, I'm doing it in this floating mesh pattern as an experiment to see if I can combat the dreaded effects of HORIZONTALLY STRIPED KNITWEAR.

It's looking good so far but since I'm knitting the back of the sleeves at the same time as the back in a big t-shape it's taking me ages just to knit one row. I hate to think how many stitches I've got on my circulars.

More progress pictures to follow...

3 Comments:

Blogger acechick said...

WOW! that looks friggin' brilliant. Tell us more about this floating mesh...

12:17 pm  
Blogger Boo! said...

It's actually a very simple stitch and not really mesh, just looks like it - I photographed it on an angle but it's really horizontal. The vertical bars of the box are just slipped sts. I've seen variations of this st in the Harmony stitch books and an old vogue pattern. Basic pattern is as follows:
Pink (the 'mesh' part)
Row1:k Row2:k
White (the 'background' part)
Row3: k5 sl1 k5 sl1 etc
Row4: p5 sl1 p5 sl1 etc
Rows 5&6: rep Rows3&4
This forms the first row of boxes but the next row of boxes should be staggered (ie Row 3 would be k2 sl1 k5 sl1 k5 sl1 etc and so on)

11:33 pm  
Blogger Kimberli said...

This stitch looks fun! Love the colors!
Let us know if it does help to counter balance the dreaded horizontal stripe!!!

6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home